Monday, October 8, 2012

Note for those doing Cut and Paste







As you cut and paste the navbar from my blog page to your homepage, you might see one or both of these urls appearing in the code for your navbar - yes, that little box that lets people travel around the ring.





https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj0SkRd7PbFsVaXG-Kp6C31ksj0iQZZ60yXcSTHpN7dpbgGkwcdklcaQfa4ZgrVTbsyfLU37cEMxmreyEeEOHUGuYwKpleoHIF7BjlpBuc6RYAPU01HqbuYzX6Re7yIKGEOx36MpP4tXtao/s128/tent1.gif

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhmrm_NH7Qqn_k9bdUnjPNOyzdsbinp1loxdiP2kjIZSeJX8xy4uSaK11B4MuXEvPoEoZTJpRlZLuVvZMKqZ-1BfmHs9wlvStwQ8UsYmL4soxxS7HrvUwXJWXMRgIXphwWIcNO970Jlzdgs/s164/donkey3.gif





I entered the image urls in this form, because otherwise you would be left seeing some ugly red x's (exes? whatever the plural of the letter x is) where the images ought to be. I would recommend that you not leave those urls as is, but rather, that you trim off everything to the left of the slashes, replacing each with something much simpler:





.............. tent1.gif



.............. .... and



.............. donkey3.gif





respectively, being sure to copy and upload the ring graphics to the same directory on your site as the page which you're submitting to the ring. Or - you could put the graphic or graphics in a different directory, and then adjust the code so that the images still appear. This is not about control freaking, this is just friendly advice, married to a little common sense.

If you have a regular HTML website, there's no reason why you can't upload the ring graphic, so if you're going to ask me to give you some of my bandwidth, I'm going to say "no", because you don't need it. If, one the other hand, your page is a blog on some otherwise cool host like Deadjournal, which doesn't let free members host images on their accounts because the company is one really nice and helpful guy running a server at a loss out of his living room, then yes, I understand. There's a good reason why you want to borrow a little bandwidth, and having had the aggravating experience of dealing with free image hosting services, myself, I'm not going to ask you to go through that, yourself, just to be a pain in ... yeah. Just to be that guy.

That having been said, I have to tell you that there are risks involved in this approach. Not huge risks, nobody is going to die or be maimed in the horrible icon meltdown of 2013, there's just a real possibility of a nuisance. Google could, at any moment, without warning or reason, either delete the copies of the graphics I have hosted on Picasa, or redesign the system so that the old urls don't work any more. This would mean that you'd have to go back into the code, upload copies of the graphics (to be found on one of the other copies of the ring homepage), upload them elsewhere and then insert the url for the new location or locations, anyway. I'm guessing that I'm not the only person who hates doing a job, having it done, and then having to redo it all over again. That's not fun.

The suggestion, then, is just that - a suggestion. I don't want you to think that I'm going to be breathing your neck about little things that don't matter, that's not the kind of show I run. I'm just passing along a warning that comes out of hard won experience.